It’s always a good idea, to be cautious when installing extensions for your web browser. As some extensions may not be reputable or may have malicious intent. Here are some tips for identifying and avoiding potentially shady Chrome extensions:
- Be wary of extensions that ask for extensive permissions: Some extensions, may request access. To a wide range of data and functions on your computer. Which may not be necessary for the extension to perform its intended purpose. Be cautious of extensions that request excessive permissions, as they may be attempting to gather more information than is necessary.
- Check the developer’s reputation: Before installing an extension, take a moment to research the developer and check their reputation. Look for reviews and ratings from other users, and be cautious of extensions with few or negative reviews.
- Avoid extensions that promise unrealistic results: Be wary, of extensions that promise unrealistic results. Such as extensions that claim, to significantly boost your browsing speed. Or improve your online security without requiring any effort on your part. These types of extensions may be attempting to trick you into installing them.
- Use caution when downloading extensions from third-party websites: It’s generally safer to download extensions, from the Chrome Web Store. As extensions from third-party websites may not have been reviewed by Google and may be untrustworthy.
- Use antivirus software: Make sure, you have antivirus software installed on your computer. To protect against malicious extensions and other threats.
I hope these tips are helpful! Let me know if you have any other questions.